1. Zep admits special children who are not easily accepted in normal schools.
2. Affording parents are charged a reasonable fee; but children from needy families are admitted and rehabilitated with the help of donations from well-wishers.
3. Specific needs of every individual child are identified (diagnosed) as the first step and a program of training and rehabilitation is designed for each.
4. Multi-sensory approach : Training and therapy is imparted to each child with a multi-sensory stimulation approach involving visual, auditory, tactile, vestibular and proprioceptive senses. Suitable instruments are used to impart such therapeutic training.
5. Speech therapy is started as early as possible and in a soundproof room to minimize distractions.
6. Physiotherapy : This helps to achieve gross & fine motor skill development and sensory integration. Devices like walker, axillary crutches, elbow crutches, etc are used. Attempt is made to strengthen and stretch specific groups of muscles.
7. Occupational therapy :To assist in daily living skills, training is imparted using devices e.g. for writing ease, devices like gripper, handle and cuff are used.
8. Training in Yoga, Dance and Music.
9. A support group of parents of special children.
10. Zep arranges training workshops and counseling sessions for parents / guardians of children with special challenges.
11. Zep also conducts cultural events (e.g. annual gathering) and short tours for special children. To take special children for trips is an activity which involves big risk and responsibility. But the joy on the faces of the children makes it worth more than the price of the stress involved.
Dreams for the Future
1. Early diagnosis and intervention center for special children.
2. Vocational training and long term rehabilitation center.
3. Expansion of space to accommodate more children with special needs.